A bit of history… Carrer Ferran

No24 The Streets Apartments It is located in Carrer Ferrán : This street, which joins Plaça Sant Jaume and La Rambla, is one of the most flavorful in Barcelona. In the 1920s there were many Barcelonans who went for a walk to enjoy the windows of the most elegant shops in the city. And it is that, since the end of the 19th century, some of the most important jewelery and silver shops in Barcelona were in this street. Its rectilinear layout, begun in 1824, based on a project by the architect Josep Mas Vila, contrasted with the complicated medieval streets of Barcelona at the time. This architect was also the author of the façade of the Town Hall. In its beginnings, the street was called Fernando VII, in homage to the king who ruled at the time. However, since he was not a king much loved by the citizens, they soon omitted the "seventh" (VII). Like so many other streets in the city, its name has been changing according to the historical moment, until in the seventies of the last century, with the arrival of democracy, it recovered its original name, but this time officially without the "seventh".

To get to know the area better
Plaça Sant Jaume is the traditional nerve center of Barcelona, ​​where the two main streets of the Roman city converged: the «cardo maximus» and the «decumanus». Thanks to Ferran street, the small square space of the square became what it is today, giving way to the layout of the new Jaume I and Princesa streets. The transformation of the area led to the demolition of the medieval church of Sant Jaume and, as a consequence, the new facade of the Casa de la Ciutat (Town Hall) and that of the Palace of the Generalitat de Catalunya were faced. From Plaça Sant Jaume, once on Calle Ferran, the first thing on the left is the short and charming Ensenyança passage and then the famous Calle Aviñó, which is the only one that leads to Paseo de Colom without interruption. . This street gave its name to one of the most famous paintings of the 20th century: “The young ladies of Aviñó”, the work of Pablo Picasso, and which is a clear tribute to the brothels that were in the area, and which the painter knew so well. Between Rauric and Aviñó streets is the church of Sant Jaume, with a checkered history. It has its origin in a synagogue that in the year 1394 the converted Jews transformed into a Christian church. It underwent many changes and today, of the original building, a significant part of the facade is still preserved. In front of the church there was an armory where the Romans held their tournaments and festivals. Passage Madoz gives access to Plaça Reial before reaching La Rambla, just in front of the Gran Teatre del Liceu.

MORE
POST